CALENDAR | WEB PAGE
Welcome to the world of seven and eight year olds. This is a wonderful time in a child's life where curiosity and openness to learning new things abound! I look forward to a fun and productive year.
BEFORE ENTERING SECOND GRADE
Students are required to have completed and passed the First Grade Curriculum before entering Second Grade.
Homework is assigned and sent home Monday through Thursday. Consistency and parent involvement is encouraged.
SENSATIONAL SECOND GRADER
This is a student of the week program that each student will take part in. The student will bring in a favorite toy or special item to share with the class. This is just one of the ways we get to know each student and family. The student will also have special privileges and be able to be the line leader for the week.
Our program involves inter-denominational Biblical teaching and prayer. A Beka text books are used for math, language, spelling, poetry, and science. Positive Action for Christ text books are used for Bible.
Language Arts: Phonics and Reading
- Review of vowels, consonants, blends, one and two vowel words, consonant blends.
- Recognition and use of all phonics special sounds in reading.
- Spelling rules: doubling consonants, dropping silent e, changing y to i.
- Oral reading.
Language Arts: Cursive Writing
- Review of letter formation.
- Guided creative writing and journal writing.
- Daily seatwork practice in all academic areas.
- Introduction to ¾ space writing.
Language Arts: Spelling and Poetry
- Weekly phonics-based word list.
- Vocabulary words and definitions.
- Weekly test.
- Reinforcement activities.
- Spelling glossary.
- Seven poems committed to memory.
Language Arts: Language
- Capitalization of first word in a sentence, days of the week, months of the year, special holidays, people, and places.
- Correct punctuation at the ends of sentences.
- Complete sentences, questions, and exclamations
- Words using suffixes, prefixes, abbreviations, compound words, rhyming words, opposite words, same-meaning words, singular and plural words, singular possessive words, and contractions
- Alphabetizing words and dictionary skills
- Word usage rules
- Writing of complete sentences, questions, exclamations, and short stories
- Writing letters and thank-you notes.
- Creative writing
History and Geography: America, Our Home
- Our Flag, Our patriotic Holidays, Our Songs
History and Geography: The People Who Built America
- The Separatists, America’s Indians, The colonists, America’s Pioneers, America’s Cowboys, The New Americans, and Tomorrow’s America
- Memory verses
- Lessons such as Salvation Series, Life of Moses, Tabernacle, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, Jonah, and many more
- Number recognition, counting, and writing 1-10,000 and beyond
- Numbers greatest and least 1-1,000
- Counting and writing to hundred thousands, threes to 36, fours to 48.
- Ordinal numbers
- Additional facts through 18, column addition, four-digit addition with carrying
- Subtraction facts through 18, four-digit subtraction with borrowing
- Multiplication facts 0-5 and Division facts 1-5
- Story problems and multiple combinations
- Estimation and rounding
- Numbers before and after by ones, twos, threes, fours, fives, and tens
- Counting and combining coins and bills
- Telling time to the nearest minute
- English and some metric measures
- Drawing and measuring lines to one-half inch
- Developing listening skills
- Place value to thousands
- Unit fractions and making change
- Reading a thermometer
- Reading pictographs, bar graphs, and line graphs
- Roman numerals
Science: Plants and Animals
- Enjoying the Plant and Animal World
Science: Health and Human Biology
- Enjoying Myself and Others
Science: Earth and Space
- Enjoying the Stars and Planets
- Enjoying Planet EartH
Science: Matter, Energy, and Conservation
- Enjoying the Air Around Us
- Enjoying Things That Move
- Enjoying Things That Work Together
Science: Health, Safety, Manners
- Posture, Nutrition, Exercise, Rest, Cleanliness, and Diseases
- Safety at home and away, on the streets, around water, and during bad weather
- Manners such as politeness, kindness, cheerfulness, respect, thoughtfulness, thankfulness, patience and table and telephone manners
P.E. twice a week for 45 min
Computer Lab once a week for 45 min
CONTACT MRS. RODRIQUEZ
Mrs. Brenda Rodriguez was born in Denver, Colorado and raised in La Mirada, California. She has been teaching elementary students since 1999. Mrs. Rodriguez and her husband and two children currently attended Calvary Chapel San Jose. "God has called me to teach here at Sunnyvale Christian School and I am excited to teach the third grade this year!"